Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

I recently checked out Pride and Prejudice (the movie) both the BBC television series and the newer one with Kiera Knightley.

Ok so I watched the new version a while back, when it came out but I had seen the BBC version a few years before. Of course I love the BBC Version and being persuaded by family I read the book. Which I adore more than the movies and I am currently re-reading to remember everything over again.

______ (After a few days, one of cleaning and the other of church I am back.)
Okie Dokie back to my idea... by now I have about a million new ones but I shall try to write all of them down in their own special blogness since I have the capability.

Idea topic again: Pride and Prejudice

Ok, everyone who knows me knows that I adore the BBC version, and that when the 2005 version came out I was very apprehensive and tentative to watch another endeavour to paint Jane Austen's book. Despite my apprehension I watched the movie. As of recently I could not remember anything about the movie, save for the fact that I did not like it. And from happenings at Cornerstone and talking to some people I decided to challenged my prejudice and watch the new version, again. Of course when I put it on hold I also put the BBC version on hold also.

(By the way there is another version, well there are many, but a third more well known version. This one is quite old and actually one of the characters in the BBC had a father play in the third old one.. but enough trivia. I tried to watch that one but I will admit it just was not Colin Firth... ha ha)

I digress, again. *Shakes head* Okay well I watched the new one. And right off the bat I admit there is one thing that turns me away. Yes I love the length of the BBC but it was not that. It was Kiera Knightly. Now I have nothing personal against her, dur. But I do not care much for her as an actress. While I admit she did play Elizabeth well, I would have preferred another actress. It is hard for me to see her playing in movies like Pirates where her cleavage is popping out and she is anything but modest and then playing a witty and modest character such as Elizabeth.

After getting over my dislike I found the movie to be very good. I enjoyed the choices of scenery very much. I also loved the actress who played Jane. I love the Jane of the 1995 BBC version but when reading the book Jane is a reputed beauty, and she is kind. While Elizabeth is pretty but a little more plain but what she lacks in beauty she makes up in wit.

In the new P&P Jane is pretty, in the older one she is pretty but Elizabeth is better looking on screen. Which is another reason why I do not like Kiera Knightly playing Elizabeth, because many think she is pretty and to find a girl to play Jane and rival her beauty can be hard in the business. I also loved that some of the lines missing from the 1995 BBC version were in the new movie. For example: Elizabeth telling Darcy that dancing is a good thing, even when your partner is not tolerable. ;)

As is I would not be sad to add both version of P&P to my small collection of DVDs. (but then I wouldn't mind a new P&P hardcover, or paperback because my Reader's Digest is deteriorating and the first page or two have fallen out...)

So I recommend the new Pride and Prejudice to those newly acquainted with Austen, or to those who want to watch an aged and unrivaled love story. But the 1995 Version, which keep in mind was a TV show and so is long for that reason, is also a very good one. Especially for those who like Colin Firth *:D*, well and Jennifer Ehle who plays a good Elizabeth.

"She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men."

~Carollela ♥~

No comments: