Saturday, March 19, 2011

Geology

I recently decided, after a long time of debate, to change my major. This is the fourth time.

Here is how:
  1. I came to Olivet and they put me as a Biology major... (I don't know why they chose that when Chemistry was my first choice... -shrugs- strange)
  2. I then switched to a CHEM ED major. After taking about a week of Organic Chemistry though, I decided that while I love Chemistry I cannot major in it. A 42 page syllabus with more to come?! No way!
  3. So... I thought "Why not Earth Space Education!?" I have a passion for people to learn things.
  4. However I soon learned that
  • getting into the program was way to much of a hassle
  • they wanted more of my life than anything else
  • I am not ready to take control of a high school/middle school class (because that is what i would teach)
So... I came to myself and switched to Geology.

Why?
A few short reasons:
  • I love Geology and everything associated with it. Including Environmental Science, conservation, sustainability, minerals, astronomy, meteorology, volcanology and so on..
  • Ever since I was little, after realizing by 7(?) that I could never make it as a rock star and that mullets are baaad, I loved rocks. I collected tons of them. From my back yard, polished ones from the store, and ones my family gave me.
(Eeeks... look at that mullet... that's what I get for trying to give myself a mohawk)
  • As a child I always found heart shaped rocks. Those were, and still are, some of my favorites to collect.
  • I love the rock cycle. (And still sometimes get it mixed up... golly)
  • I love trying to identify rocks, especially ones I already know but am spacing on. (Which is a lot)
  • Many children sell lemonade on the side of the road. I sold rocks. (In fact I made 10 whole cents!)
And last for now:
  • I went on facebook and looked at my status talking about this change and my grandpa had said to go with Geology. (first, my grandpa is never on facebook. second, how did he know how to comment and where?!)

BASICALLY

~Carollela~

1 comment:

Devan Rachelle said...

1. I love that you sold rocks as a kid...I always knew you were special.
2. You scream Nature so I am positive that GEO is for you!
3. I love you, and its okay to change your major 4 times...I am almost sure I have.