Saturday, February 26, 2011

Standing Ovation



Very rarely do I feel comfortable during a standing ovation.
As a performer (not a consistent one, so don't start attacking me..) but as a performer I understand how great it feels to act and be on the stage. I understand how privileged you feel when you receive a standing ovation.

I know as an audience member you want to express your pleasure in the performance. It's great to show the cast that you appreciate their work. (I mean you did pay to see it and were happy with the performance.)

And yet I still feel strange giving them. Except for today (well and Thursday). My school put on the musical Godspell. Being at a Christian College and being a Christian myself gives the play a slightly different meaning than it does others. Needless to say, I may have these songs in my head for the week, which I am fine with.

It makes me think though:
1.) Why did I feel comfortable giving this play a standing ovation over others?
and
2.) Shakespeare said in his play As You Like It

"All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts,"
This leads me to think.. will there be a standing ovation at your, or my because I am the one thinking it... at my funeral? Not that they are happy that I have died but that I did give a good performance.

But this then would imply that I am inconsistent in who I am; that I am never truly myself. All I do is act who I think I should be or who the situation needs me to be. Can there be a good side to acting? Can we act as conductors for the Lord rather than acting as how we are not? Will the Lord gives us a stand ovation?

In Matthew 25: 21/23 it says "His lord said to him 'Well done good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord." This verse has been used to be spoken to us by God so many times. Saying if we take care of what we have the Lord will reward us. So if we take it that way, will me a standing ovation and tell me that I was a "good and faithful servant?" That I did what I was supposed to do, that I acted well, and took his ques and script and acted it.

There is a certain sense of spontaneity and improv in acting, and when we are given our "script of life" we have our leeway to with it as we will. We can improvise and adjust but ultimately do we act out what is needed?

~Carollela~

No comments: