Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years


Yes it is another year.... somehow I do not feel the effects. It is as though I were frozen, in a state of suspended animation, kept on December 31st until the sudden shock comes to say "It really is a new day. A new year. It is 2010"

So why is it a common habit for everyone to change suit and go "mushy" or "sappy" or "sentimental"? I understand a year has gone by and for some that is a grand moment. Take for example my Aunt and Uncle they were married on New Years... Grand Moment. Or my cousin whose birthday is December 25th, close to the end of a year... Grand Moment.

I understand the significance of looking back and looking forward, please don't get me wrong... contemplation is not bad, but once a year everyone does it. It seems like on the first of every year we all think back to what happened, we remember what we did wrong, what went right, who helped us, who we helped and then look forward to what is to come. Where we will be in the next year and how we will get there.

Fine and Dandy. All apart of life. If we didn't/couldn't look back how would we remember the cross?

But it seems that around this time of year we all decide to stop ourselves, just for a moment sometimes a day, and think. Why don't we STOP and THINK everyday! Once a week? Or at least once a month?! It has been instilled in us to change our habits, our personalities to be a contemplative mass of people once year.

Or if becoming a soft blob of thought were not enough we make "New Years Resolutions"

We take all those ponderings about the year and smoosh them into something we like to call a resolution. What is a "resolution"? Is it simply this:

Resolution:
the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.

We all decide on something we want to change or do for the new year. Sometimes it is something we wanted to do the past year and did not get to and other times it is just something we want to change. We even make goals for that coming year.

Some resolutions are so simple:
- Make 12 dozen cookies for the homeless
- Learn to Crochet
- umm... yada yada

Others we make and soon forget:
- Exercise Every day
- Lose 50 pounds
or even
- Read Through the Bible in a Year

We all do it, every year. Even I did... but I thought I would point out these things, I felt like ranting on the oddities of New Years, especially since this year did not feel like a new one but just a continuation of the last.

Carollela <3

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's a weird phenomenon. Then I was thinking about the year 2004. Do you remember 2004? ;) Every day of every year since then has been a wild ride, has it not? I wonder where we'd be and what we'd be like, and where you'd be and the girls, and daddy, if 2004 remained the same as 2003 and all the previous years. Every year is glory glory with Jesus.