Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Faith

Faith.
What is it?

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

That verse does sum things up really well, but why then does faith seem so easy? If all we have to do is know what we hope for and believe in what is not seen things seem easier... Because hey, any living person believes in air.

Faith is hard for me, I'll admit it. I know some people "play it down" or just won't admit when something is hard or difficult for them but I will admit that faith is hard for me. I can do advanced logic puzzles, Chemistry 2 labs, and even a few Calculus problems, but when it comes to faith: I am a kindergarten child. I am an unskilled apprentice. I have much to learn and a long way to grow until I can even think about reaching full potential.

Today in Parlor (Wednesday Night College Church) people were giving devotionals or testimonies. Some kids talked about happy things, like wonderful break and getting closer to the Lord. Others talked about upsetting childhoods, self-hatred, and depression. Getting hit by trucks and how the Lord is talking to them in each situation. However there was one kid that stood out, I think to everyone.

He didn't want to go up in front of us all, I don't think really any of them did, but he went up. You could tell what he wanted to say was fresh and pressing on him. He told us about his break and how his mother went to the hospital for a short, hour operation. Four hours later the doctor pulls them aside and tells them that his mother has cancer. While is mother was not told yet he went and visited her. Despite surgery she looked peaceful and happy. Not happy but filled with an unexplained joy. The kid went on to say that he knew that no matter what Jesus was always there, even though there were going to be some really hard times.

That kid had faith. A belief and hope in what he could not see. Trust in an unseen God, Peace from the Lord above despite his troubles. While the pain was still there he was still filled with an inexplicable joy.

So what is faith? Faith is hard to explain, especially in a short time.

Carollela <3

No comments: