Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Secret Life of a Specter

A smile is fleeting but joy, well that can be everlasting.

Sure, we experience other emotions. Sometimes these emotions seem to flood us and make our joy all but disappear. Anger, fear and sadness are common antagonists of our dear joy. But through it all joy is there, somewhere. It can be in the little thing; the thankfulness of being able to eat, love and breathe.

A smile may not be joy but it can be a good indicator of it. What happens when you are joyful but cannot smile?

I think smiles are strange. When do we use them 'properly?' Rather than say hello or have a conversation people often flash a 'smile' while walking past a person they know. I don't know about you, but those smiles feel weird to me. As if my face was not actually made to move that way.

I guess I could associate smiles with ghosts; flitting experiences of life that people don't always see. Like ghosts they can surprise and be found where you least expect them. Unlike smiles ghosts can be rare, but maybe in their ever presence they truly are ghosts. They can be found all about, but when are they a true reflection of your soul. When you smile is it out of courtesy or do you smile because it feels right? Do you smile because that is how your heart feels?

We hide our emotions in 'respect' for others. Going around hiding what I feel and only being 'okay' because that is what others want. I'm fed up with that. Sure, I may talk more than others. Maybe it really is because I love to hear the sound of my grating high voice... or maybe I talk because others don't seem to know how.

If you know how to speak who you are, then do it. I want to see true emotion from people. If you are angry, please just say it. If you are hurt, I want to know. If you are always OKAY or GOOD where is the progress . Where is the change? How can you ever be more than OKAY if OKAY is all you've allowed yourself to be?

No comments: