Recently I arrived back on the safe, secluded, bubble of Olivet. Things here were still the same, while some of the faces were not. Going back a third year holds a little nostalgia, so much has changed and yet it seems like nothing at all. I have changed though. As per usual I went to church on Sunday. This time though, while different from home, felt strange. Something wasn't right. This is what I wrote that so recent Sunday upon reentering the bubble.
"As Christians music is one of our identifiers. I was once told, by a great pastor, that music was a Christian's greatest weapon. And while you may not agree with me, hear me out. Everyone listens to music; everyone makes music, even if it is off key, off beat or pitch perfect. It is what we do with that music that really matters.
I feel, that as Christians music is often played down. The significance of such a gift is abused, misused or just treated unfairly. We often forget, or don't know, the power that music holds.
What is the most anticipated aspect of church? Other than the free coffee. The music, everyone waits for the times of Praise and Worship. It is often during this time that the alter is filled; during these times people are awake and forget who is next to them.
At home we have our radios, mp3 players, computers and fans to provide noise. We need this "white noise" or we cannot concentrate. We are afraid of the silence. Music is good, music is powerful but when we use the music to escape the silence we have gone to far.
There is something special about silence, something we don't want to recognize. God is in the silence. You ever wonder why other religions have 'mediation?' Why they have time to 'center themselves and become one with the world?' It is because they understand the power of silence but without the power of our God their silence is only suffocating them.
It is in the silence that we, as Christians, can leave behind the world and hear God. In the silence we hear our own music - our inner worship. We can know our spiritual state by the measure of our silence. (Now I'm not saying I am very good at silence. I am one of the most talkative people I know. So yes, this does make me a slight hypocrite, but I understand that I need to seek the silence and listen more and I feel that many have never listened.)
In the silence we also hear the peace, beauty, and the musical glory of God. The silence is where we meet God; where we hear his music. We hear his heart. We hear what Christian music tends to lack - the passion, ferocity, justice, righteousness, anger, the untamed majesty and love of our Lord and Savior. We hear the grace, mercy, forgiveness, and love of the cross.
When we visit the silence it is painful. We are so used to the noise that the drastic change has us baffled. Silence is hard but it is good; really, truly good. When we visit the silence the Devil tries to interject and squirm his little nose in. But his squirming is just like throwing pots and pans on the ground, it is loud. As if we were waking the noise of the Devil assaults our senses and tries to shatter our faith and our vision. It confuses and it distorts. But if you hold true to the silence soon enough the noises of the world and the screams of the Devil will fade away to the silence and music of God's own heart.
May the Peace that passes all understanding be with you.
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. ~ 1 Timothy 6:12
And always remember, take hold of the faith with you have received. For it is not against the world but against the powers and principalities of darkness that we fight against. God will give you the shield of faith to entinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Hold fast.
~Carollela~
2 comments:
I just have to say after having some intense conversation tonight and hours of talking this was really a great and refreshing reminder that silence isn't bad and the solace that can be found there through God and listening to Him is great. I really appreciate this post..
~Jocelyn
I can see your growth, spiritually, emotionally and I must say this summer, though fast, was as an eye opener, a challenge and just what Jesus wanted. You found that secret entrance into the tunnel that leads to the real you....the fun you, spontaneous you that climbs into potato bins and imagines a (K)arny world inside. Your writing is reflecting complete thoughts and your honesty and uncompromising honesty regarding what is right and wrong are expressed without judgement but with discernment, discernment because you also see your own need in the (ever so tiny) message of complaint. Ever wonder why I also left the radio off, or why I can't stand the t.v. and noise from any and all technology that sends noise through air? Now you DO! Your doing so awesome!
DFTBYS (dont forget to be YOUR SELF)
xoxo
Winterdance
Post a Comment